Mr. Tata, look who’s watching!
Whether it’s for business or pleasure, once you reach your destination there are lots of things you can do to reduce the impact of your trip.
* Rather than hiring a car at the airport choose other ways to get around> like taxis, trains or buses. If you do travel by car, check out tips on how you can save fuel, money and help nature.
* Look at eco-tourism options. Many travel companies now offer holidays which support sustainable development, do not impact negatively on the environment and provide financial support to local communities.
* Respect the environment and stay on trails and public footpaths. Do not remove plants or feed animals, and never litter.
* Conserve water and take showers rather than baths. Use a refillable water container, sterilizing water when necessary rather than buying bottled water.
* Limit energy use, including your use of air-conditioning and hot water. Turn off all lights and taps when you leave hotel rooms.
* Minimize your use of personal care products and detergents to wash linen, and reuse your hotel towels and bed linen.
* Dispose of sanitary waste properly. Don’t flush cotton buds, condoms, tampons and plastics down the toilet, or you might just find them on the beach!
* Recycle newspapers, magazines and your beverage containers (many can be returned for refunds), and reduce the number of bags, napkins and disposable cups you use when you eat fast food.
* Rent a bike. In many places you can rent them out. They are not only environmentally friendly and cheap, but also a great option for sightseeing.
* Take a hike. walking in cities or going on a hike in the countryside is great way to avoid emissions and yet discover some of special things about where you are, things you may otherwise simply “drive by”.
* Reduce the impact of your recreational activities by avoiding sports which have a significant harmful impact on the environment, or choose more progressive establishments (e.g. golf courses which recycle water).
“Love comes to those who still hope even though they’ve been disappointed, to those who still believe even though they’ve been betrayed, to those who still love even though they’ve been hurt before.”